Tanzanian Chips Mayai (French Fries Omelette)

French-Fries-Omelette
Yes my French-Fries Lover Friends, you read that right. Breakfast has become a lot more addictive with this Tanzanian special dish Chips Mayai (French Fries Omelette). The sound of it is so tempting in itself, for the not-so-breakfast-kind person like me this is an absolute breakfast treat.

When I first came to know about the existence of this dish on a blog that I follow The Desi Dossier, I was so tempted by the idea that I had to try it. But, as I'm ME, I had to do some research and had to find out where this dish came from and who invented it and everything about it. To my surprise, this very simple yet delicious dish came out of Tanzania and it is said to be a very famous dish there. One that you'll find in every restaurant, and at every corner of the street.

The name Chips Mayai is in Sawahili the national language of Tanzania, where Mayai means Eggs and chips are French Fries  so French Fries in Eggs or Eggs in French Fries. They serve it as a snack or street food with a side of some salad they call Kachumbari and Chili Sauce. But I like having it for breakfast and its so ridiculously good that you'd love it too!



print recipe
Tanzanian Chips Mayai (French Fries Omelette)
Breakfast just got a lot more delicious with Chips Mayai, French Fries in an Omelette!
Prep time: Total time: Yield: serves 1

Ingredients

Instructions

  1. Make yourself a good amount of French Fries or use store bought (I made my fries myself, just the way I like them)
  2. In a bowl whisk the eggs, add salt and pepper to taste. Add French fries to the bowl and mix it all well
  3. In a pan heat oil and add the fries-egg mixture to it. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden from bottom then flip and cook the other side
  4. Serve hot with your favorite chili sauce, bread or have it as is, Enjoy!

You can check out this post here to master the art of making the perfect omelette.

Labels: , , , ,